Monday, April 30, 2007

A Candidate, His Minister and the Search for Faith

My mom, who tends to share my wariness about religious extremism of any sort, had this to say about the front-page story in today's NYT about Obama, his pastor and his faith (I agree with her entirely):
Although I do not share Obama's religious beliefs, I find them reassuring in terms of a strong sense of values and moral convictions.  I like the idea that he does not necessarily agree with his pastor or just accept all of his church's teachings without putting them through a serious intellectual assessment.  I am especially appreciative that he believes that tolerance of another's religion (or lack thereof) is fundamental and to be respected.  In addition, the input in his life of so many different religions has helped make him much more understanding and appreciative of the many ways that people in the world worship god -- by whatever name s/he is known.  And like John Kennedy, whom so many feared as a Catholic president, I think that Barack Obama's religion would not interfere with his presidency.
------------------

A Candidate, His Minister and the Search for Faith

Published: April 30, 2007

CHICAGO — Members of Trinity United Church of Christ squeezed into a downtown hotel ballroom in early March to celebrate the long service of their pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. One congregant stood out amid the flowers and finery: Senator Barack Obama, there to honor the man who led him from skeptic to self-described Christian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home